Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kindness From a Stranger

Before getting to my actual post...I need to preface it.

I despise going to the Post Office. To start with, it is always busy. The easiest way seems to be taking my big double stroller so both the boys are "stuck." This means Kaden cannot leave my side and I don't have a baby on my hip. It also makes it easier because I am usually carrying packages, too. With that said...I also have an issue with taking the stroller. It barely fits in the trunk of my car and it is HEAVY. (And I look really silly trying to get it back in) So, it seems like such a big pain to get it out and to have to put it back in when I just need to walk across the parking lot and stand in line for a few minutes.

With that said, I ventured out to the Post Office this morning. I had every intent to take the stroller since I had both boys and two good size packages. As I got out of the car I made a last minute decision to skip the stroller. Somehow while walking in I managed to hold Justin and his blanket, 2 packages, my purse, and Kaden's hand (Kaden was also determined to carry two small cars in the hand I needed to hold).

*As another side note...why does the post office always have a million sets of doors?

So, as I get in line Kaden realizes he left his puppy in the car. As I'm trying to explain to him that we are going to be really quick and puppy is probably taking a nap anyway, a sweet lady starts talking to me. She sees how full my hands are and offers to play with Kaden. She sat on the (dirty) floor next to me and played cars with him. He loved it! She played with my little boy the entire time just to help me out! Although I thanked her numerous times, she will never really know how much it meant to me. As it became my turn, I of course took Kaden up to the register with me and the postal worker gave him a sucker...which was another life saver for me. These simple acts of kindness made my post office outing a wonderful experience.

I know this seems so simple, but it touched me in a way I wouldn't have expected. I think with the the media and the news we are programmed to concentrate so much on the bad. On the contrast, there are SO many wonderful people in this world. Some won't even know the lives that they touch.

5 comments:

Lisa M said...

That was so nice. Wow!!

Tami said...

I agree that is so nice of those strangers! How sweet. And I think you're right, Amy, I think there a lot of great people in the world. And, I don't think they get recognized. Thanks for the little pick-me-up tonight. I needed it.

Sharee said...

This was a really sweet post, I have had experiences like this, especially when I fly alone with Kyla and have my hands completely full. It restores faith in how kind most people still are. I love it! It also makes me want to help more.

JSL, ABE&H said...

Oh that is so nice. People are nicer than what the world gives them credit for.

The Collingwood Family said...

How kind - I HATE, HATE, HATE!!!!! going to the post office - every time I've gone it's been a nightmare. Recently, I discovered that if you have your own packing stuff and a scale, you can just go to www.usps.com and enter the size, weight, and addresses for your package and print up a label. Then you can leave it with your postman - it is a lifesaver!!!